"ARROYO"

A dry channel through which water flows intermittently and irregularly. Kind of like this blog.

My art is an infectious need for me, sometimes a burden but most often a blessing.

This blog is about me and my obsessions, my loves, my need to create and my need of JUNK. I'm addicted to thrift stores, estate sales, flea markets and all roads leading off the beaten track to discover that perfect piece of junk. I recycle old license plates, old shovels, wheelbarrows, saw blades and anything else that's funky using my hand held plasma cutter. I love working with steel, sculpting, photography, watercolor painting, stained glass, and turning everyday utilitarian objects into art. Junked cars ~ I will always veer off the path to search out the beautiful wrecked Arroyo JunKers throughout Arizona, New Mexico and anywhere else the road may lead. When I'm not searching for those JunKers
I ~ RESURRECT ~ STEEL

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Shovel Art - Two

I've completed the Church windows I showed in my last post.  I decided that the Hoe did not fit the beauty of the window - so instead I cut up an old stump of Pinon that I absconded from my Dad's wood pile.  He just couldn't figure out why I wanted that old wood - and basically at the time I myself didn't yet have a plan for it, but we all know how that works, Right?  We all have a pile of trash just waiting for resurrection
You can display the front (below) or the back (which I prefer)
And the Antique Hoe.... 
well it was better suited as the base for the flower shovel, added some flowers & leaves growing out of the bottom and a butterfly, because what is a garden without a butterfly.
 

What Is This??
It's very heavy, about 16" across.
It has prongs underneath it
hubby said it's a candle holder upside down ... I tend to agree. 

It's gonna look so much better when I'm done with it!
 
Stay tuned for its Resurrection
Next Week



11 comments:

Jerry Carlin said...

Wow, Soozee, you have the hand of a surgeon! Just, plain gorgeous!

Luthien Thye said...

my goodness!! you are the master my fren ... the master!! those are just amazing!!
i'm gonna tumblr them.

Unknown said...

Every time I see your work I just want to run around the world and show everyone - it is so incredible! I have shared your blog with friends who are here from the states at the moment - they were overcome as they had never seen such work before. It sort of does that to a person - leaves them in disbelief. Beautiful beautiful work Soozeeque ... Everytime I see a new piece I am in my original state of AWE! xoDonna

stregata said...

I am speechless - so excrutiatingly beautiful!!!!!!! Wow, wow, wow.

Barry said...

SZQ - windows to the shy? The contrast of the finished work against the clear blue sky is magic. Well done. Will await the new mystery creation. Go well. B

Bohemian said...

OMG... I'm so glad you stopped by my Blog for a visit so that I could discover yours... what Masterful Art you Create... it is Magnificent and I'm speechless! {Which doesn't happen often, winks}

Dawn... The Bohemian

Unknown said...

WOW! Are they lamps? They would give a romantic look to any room!

bohemiannie! art said...

I'm sitting here with huge eyes, hearting beating stronG, deep chest breathing and totally, completely in awe.

SooZeQue said...

Thank you everyone for all your compliments! I truly appreciate everyone stopping in and sharing what they think. I take it the short shovels are a hit. They're fun to do that's for sure. Would make a fun addition to the mantle place I guess. Or maybe that's only in my house.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your work is fantastic, I love the reuse and your talent is shining. xox Corrine

Sarah Sequins said...

Ohhhh, pretty! :)

I love that you create art out of discarded materials! I'm looking at some of your license plate butterflies in awe.

Have you heard of a place called the Art Grange in Ohio? They do some pretty awesome work, too. They're also superly nice people! http://www.artgrange.com/

-- Sarah, visiting from Artists in Blogland

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous. This was waiting at the end.

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous.  This was waiting at the end.
Alpine Cliff Jumper

Don't you just love bugs! My first car.... but RED.

Don't you just love bugs!  My first car.... but RED.
Lamy, NM

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM . It has seen better days. I love Lamy,

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM .  It has seen better days.  I love Lamy,
Studebaker in Lamy, NM