"ARROYO"

A dry channel through which water flows intermittently and irregularly. Kind of like this blog.

My art is an infectious need for me, sometimes a burden but most often a blessing.

This blog is about me and my obsessions, my loves, my need to create and my need of JUNK. I'm addicted to thrift stores, estate sales, flea markets and all roads leading off the beaten track to discover that perfect piece of junk. I recycle old license plates, old shovels, wheelbarrows, saw blades and anything else that's funky using my hand held plasma cutter. I love working with steel, sculpting, photography, watercolor painting, stained glass, and turning everyday utilitarian objects into art. Junked cars ~ I will always veer off the path to search out the beautiful wrecked Arroyo JunKers throughout Arizona, New Mexico and anywhere else the road may lead. When I'm not searching for those JunKers
I ~ RESURRECT ~ STEEL

Friday, December 30, 2011

Shovel Art Sculpture

Well I'm still sort of in my hibernation state after the holidays.  Too much good food, way way to many goodies and a few more inches on the waste line!  I'm sort of in an over indulgent coma.  However, I'm needing to get out in the shop again and shake off the cobwebs and indulge in a little creativity.  Days are beautiful here, weather is perfect so I started drawing and cutting on a few shovels.  You know no shovel is a bad shovel even if the handles are broken - as in the one I'm working on.  I love church windows so that's what I've cut out.
I'm currently looking for a nice thick piece of dark wood to possibly mount it on and may even add a leafy vine climbing up the shaft of the shovel.  Sometimes you just have to let these items speak to you.  Especially when you are in a semi-coma state. 

It's temporarily mounted on an old antique Hoe blade.  I found out recently that these particular cast iron blades may have been called HOE because they where used by slaves in the USA to cook so-called Hoe Cakes.  Whether that is true or not I can't be sure.

7 comments:

Luthien Thye said...

woah!! super beautiful milady!! i uttered the word "crazy lady" in front of my daughter when i saw this ... she asked why i called you crazy ... so i said, cos she makes crazy beautiful stuff!! Happy New Year my fren!

Unknown said...

Beautifully representative of a Church window, and if modified a little, the three kings can't be much more intricate than this. Exquisite work. xxDonna

stregata said...

WoW! I am awestruck. Such beauty in a shovel! Amazing!! Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the coming year... may it be a good one for you.

Barry said...

Hi SZQ - always awestruck with what you can do with common castoffs. As others have said this piece sure reflects the beauty of church windows. As S says I look forward to seeing more of your creations in 2012. And once this season of celebration is over may we rediscover our waistlines. Best wishes to you and all who follow you for 2012. B

SooZeQue said...

Thanks everyone for your continued support in this CRAZY world of resurrection I endeavor to unfold. I wonder if I could cut all the shovels in my shed this year?

soraya nulliah said...

Dearest SSQ-just catching up on blogs etc. I am so glad that you had an amazing holiday season. All the very very best in the new year!! xxx

soraya nulliah said...

man oh man!! I just don't know how you look at a shovel and imagine and then manifest such amazing art!!!! You are brilliant + amazing my lady and need to be in a magazine somewhere. Or on Oprah!!! xxx
Hey!! I still want to interview you...when I get a chance to get my questions together!!

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous. This was waiting at the end.

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous.  This was waiting at the end.
Alpine Cliff Jumper

Don't you just love bugs! My first car.... but RED.

Don't you just love bugs!  My first car.... but RED.
Lamy, NM

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM . It has seen better days. I love Lamy,

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM .  It has seen better days.  I love Lamy,
Studebaker in Lamy, NM