"ARROYO"

A dry channel through which water flows intermittently and irregularly. Kind of like this blog.

My art is an infectious need for me, sometimes a burden but most often a blessing.

This blog is about me and my obsessions, my loves, my need to create and my need of JUNK. I'm addicted to thrift stores, estate sales, flea markets and all roads leading off the beaten track to discover that perfect piece of junk. I recycle old license plates, old shovels, wheelbarrows, saw blades and anything else that's funky using my hand held plasma cutter. I love working with steel, sculpting, photography, watercolor painting, stained glass, and turning everyday utilitarian objects into art. Junked cars ~ I will always veer off the path to search out the beautiful wrecked Arroyo JunKers throughout Arizona, New Mexico and anywhere else the road may lead. When I'm not searching for those JunKers
I ~ RESURRECT ~ STEEL

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Just Hangin With Friends

Wow, I can't believe it's been two weeks since I posted.  Truly I haven't been loafing, but if truth be told most of that time I've been dealing with botched dentistry.  My dentist who I've been with for 28 years retired and my first experience with the group that took over has been horrid!  Needless to say I shall be finding a new one! 

Since I haven't been real busy in the shop I'll just share a few pics from my days out and hopefully next week I'll be back to welding and cutting.... I HOPE!

Last week I was finally able to take my mind off of the tooth problem and hang out with some friends. On Thurs, with my old friend Meeg who I've know since high school, we did some window shopping, lunch and threw in a few thrift stores for good measure.
Then on Friday, headed off to the Tucson Quilt Show with my Friend Anna - and of course there is always time to scout out the Tucson Thrift stores.  Good thing most of my friends enjoy thrifting - cuz if they didn't I'd have to drag them along kicking and screaming!

I'm not a seamstress and never will be!  I admire all these folks that have the patient to put these beautiful quilts together.  I prefer to sew with steel and if I had to sew something needing a straight line... I'd be in big trouble. 

3 comments:

bohemiannie! art said...

Oh man oh man do I miss thrifting. No such thing here in Barranquilla. Lots of eye candy here to look at!

Unknown said...

How lovely to hand around with friends - and at such great places too. Sorry, I've been drooooooling all over your blog - in the thrift stores and all over the quilts - a couple of which I tried to peel off the page! I too miss thrifting and looks like you found some fabulous shops! xoDonna

Bohemian said...

I can tell where you were in Downtown Glendale! No wonder you spent too much! *LOL* Carol's Shops are always packed with great Treasures! I must confess that this week I did too... but I had Christmas Gift Funds that were burning holes in my pockets! *Smiles* So it was a fairly guiltless indulgence of Self. Those Quilts are fabulous... I'm taking a Sewing Class at Church on Monday Nights and the Lady Hosting it is an avid Quilter... never tried my hand at that yet but I Love seeing Quilt Creations, each one is obviously a Labor of Love and I'm often amazed at the Talent of the Artists! As for Altered Art Bottles, I plan to take a Class in the Spring at Melrose Vintage to learn how to solder them... The Man & I have picked up so many Old Bottles in our Desert Treks over the years that I can't wait to Create something fabulous with them!

Dawn... The Bohemian

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous. This was waiting at the end.

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous.  This was waiting at the end.
Alpine Cliff Jumper

Don't you just love bugs! My first car.... but RED.

Don't you just love bugs!  My first car.... but RED.
Lamy, NM

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM . It has seen better days. I love Lamy,

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM .  It has seen better days.  I love Lamy,
Studebaker in Lamy, NM