"ARROYO"

A dry channel through which water flows intermittently and irregularly. Kind of like this blog.

My art is an infectious need for me, sometimes a burden but most often a blessing.

This blog is about me and my obsessions, my loves, my need to create and my need of JUNK. I'm addicted to thrift stores, estate sales, flea markets and all roads leading off the beaten track to discover that perfect piece of junk. I recycle old license plates, old shovels, wheelbarrows, saw blades and anything else that's funky using my hand held plasma cutter. I love working with steel, sculpting, photography, watercolor painting, stained glass, and turning everyday utilitarian objects into art. Junked cars ~ I will always veer off the path to search out the beautiful wrecked Arroyo JunKers throughout Arizona, New Mexico and anywhere else the road may lead. When I'm not searching for those JunKers
I ~ RESURRECT ~ STEEL

Monday, July 30, 2012

Outer Peace begins with Inner Peace


I believe that Outer Peace
begins with Inner Peace
and what gives me Inner Peace is working on Metal, or really anything that I can be creative with. 
I'm usually not one that jumps on different bandwagons for the latest cause nor do I have a tendency to follow the actions or beliefs of others.  I've always followed what pulls at my heart strings.  However, with a cause such as PEACE and the opportunity to join with friends I've made in this wonderful blogging community that have participated in this wonderful celebration before,  I decided to jump on this bandwagon of kindred spirits that are creating Flags of Peace, which will be flown on
International Peace Day, September 21.  
My inspiration was a recent road trip we took through the backroads of our beautiful Arizona desert and I fashioned these after the beautiful paper fiesta flags that hang on many occasion where I grew up.  I've always loved the intricate nature of these paper flags and the many colors they come in.  So, I have created each flag with those images in mind.  Each flag measures about 9x13 and is hand cut from a piece of steel using my hand held plasma cutter.  I envisioned all the beautiful Cactus plants, Roadrunners, Javelina, Saguaro's, and various other animals that live in our beautiful Arizona desert and with the center being the symbol of PEACE.


If you wish to contribute to this wonderful group
Please feel free to join the
Peace Flag Project
where you can find all the info.



4 comments:

Barbra Joan said...

You are a true artist, I can only say these are amazing.! Truly amazing! BJ

stregata said...

Wow - so very gorgeous! Love the way they are hanging and in that first photo, they really do remind me of paper cutouts. Inspiring work!

Bohemian said...

I've totally been away from reading my Fav Blogs for too long... see all the great Projects you've been up to that I'm just now getting around to viewing! Love the Flags! I really need to get out of my Creative Slump and start some new Projects... you're Inspiring me!

Dawn... The Bohemian

Unknown said...


Thanks for bringing such wonderful topic.

Inner Peace
Meditation

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous. This was waiting at the end.

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous.  This was waiting at the end.
Alpine Cliff Jumper

Don't you just love bugs! My first car.... but RED.

Don't you just love bugs!  My first car.... but RED.
Lamy, NM

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM . It has seen better days. I love Lamy,

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM .  It has seen better days.  I love Lamy,
Studebaker in Lamy, NM