"ARROYO"

A dry channel through which water flows intermittently and irregularly. Kind of like this blog.

My art is an infectious need for me, sometimes a burden but most often a blessing.

This blog is about me and my obsessions, my loves, my need to create and my need of JUNK. I'm addicted to thrift stores, estate sales, flea markets and all roads leading off the beaten track to discover that perfect piece of junk. I recycle old license plates, old shovels, wheelbarrows, saw blades and anything else that's funky using my hand held plasma cutter. I love working with steel, sculpting, photography, watercolor painting, stained glass, and turning everyday utilitarian objects into art. Junked cars ~ I will always veer off the path to search out the beautiful wrecked Arroyo JunKers throughout Arizona, New Mexico and anywhere else the road may lead. When I'm not searching for those JunKers
I ~ RESURRECT ~ STEEL

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Junker's Junk Repurposed

Everywhere I go ...... EVERYWHERE.... I tend to bring home JUNK.  I travel far and wide just to gather JUNK if I know it's just sitting there.  A few weeks ago on our trip up to the cool pines I hauled home a bunch of beautiful old painted boards that our friends where gonna just throw away.

THROW AWAY!!!  WHAT!!!!   
 They came out of a 50 year old cabin and they were beautiful
I knew what they would be the moment I saw them.
Remember these
I left the old paint just the way it was on the boards.  So much character and rustic charm.
I had some old eqipale furniture slates on this one.
 This was an old Logging chain I grabbed for a song and a dance at an old lumber mill.  It's so cool & heavy!
and remember those old railroad numbers I scouted on the train track in NM.
Used an old oak wine barrel that I took apart.  It has a perfect curve in it and an awesome barn wood patina.
 I'm still thinking about this one. The metal flowers might be a bit busy, however I love the old bottle that I attached..... what do you think?

Oh Yeah that gorgeous Pashmina in the background..... $2.99 at goodwill!

Next weekend we are headed out on another Road Trip to our property in the Dragoon Mountains south of Tucson to scout some more junk.  My husband spotted something up in Cochises Stronghold area that I can't leave behind.... if he can still remember how to get there.


Can you guess what I'll be coming home with? Here's a clue....
It's all over the Property

6 comments:

stregata said...

Thanks for stopping by, SooZeQue - yes, kittens... sigh.
Love what you made with the boards - I wouldn't have let those go either! Typical junk-addiction...
Can't wait to see what you bring home from your road trip - I wonder, will it be shovels?

Barry said...

SZQ - from one junk lover to another - amazing what can be done with the discarded. Are these destined for your market stall? Hope the road trip goes well and the junk harvest is good. Go well. B

Jerry Carlin said...

What a great idea, SooZee and what clear vision you have! I love the flowers in the bottle, not too busy at all, just perfect!

Luthien Thye said...

way te go babe!!! i love your resurrections so dont ever stop junking! wouldn't it be great if we could all meet and junk together? you , me, B, and Renate :)

SooZeQue said...

BS - Yes, I'll be putting some in the sale as I'm acquiring way too many and my walls are already overflowing with them.

nanke's stuff said...

I sure wish I lived near you so I could see all you do in person! It's always so creative, well done, and beautiful. nancy

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous. This was waiting at the end.

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous.  This was waiting at the end.
Alpine Cliff Jumper

Don't you just love bugs! My first car.... but RED.

Don't you just love bugs!  My first car.... but RED.
Lamy, NM

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM . It has seen better days. I love Lamy,

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM .  It has seen better days.  I love Lamy,
Studebaker in Lamy, NM