"ARROYO"

A dry channel through which water flows intermittently and irregularly. Kind of like this blog.

My art is an infectious need for me, sometimes a burden but most often a blessing.

This blog is about me and my obsessions, my loves, my need to create and my need of JUNK. I'm addicted to thrift stores, estate sales, flea markets and all roads leading off the beaten track to discover that perfect piece of junk. I recycle old license plates, old shovels, wheelbarrows, saw blades and anything else that's funky using my hand held plasma cutter. I love working with steel, sculpting, photography, watercolor painting, stained glass, and turning everyday utilitarian objects into art. Junked cars ~ I will always veer off the path to search out the beautiful wrecked Arroyo JunKers throughout Arizona, New Mexico and anywhere else the road may lead. When I'm not searching for those JunKers
I ~ RESURRECT ~ STEEL

Saturday, July 7, 2012

July 4th Get Away

Nobody had to ask me twice to go on a road trip for the holiday weekend up to the cool country in Pinetop-Lakeside, where the breeze was blowing, the clouds were thick and the rain was lightly washing the landscape.  The heat just won't let up down here in the Valley of the Sun so getting up to the cool country is such a welcome relief.  

We drove thru Globe and there is always something crazy to see
 Like a wheelbarrow waterfall - I could totally rock this but with a few more holes in them!
and this great tin can roof

Then up through the Salt River Canyon with it's majestic beauty and seriously winding roads



We went on a hike one day and what to my wondering eye should appear but many sleighs and no reindeer...my favorite subject "Arroyo Junkers" out in the forest of all places.  They must of known I was coming and in need of new subjects.   Oh thank you my JUNK GOD!






I hope you all had a great July 4th!!

7 comments:

bohemiannie! art said...

fabulosity!

Barry said...

SZQ - so good to see you went wandering for 4 July - and what amazing inspiration and sights - both human made and natural. Must have been a refreshing way to deal with your heat. And of course - the beauty of Arroyo Junkers - the JUNK God was indeed smiling on you. Would;d you not love to have the red one to restore (but not too much). Go well. B

Jerry Carlin said...

Cool trip for a hot 4th of July Soozee, thanks for taking us alone!!My show is going well, one more day. Maybe I will try Indian food today?

soraya nulliah said...

happy 4th SSQ- glad you got out of the heat and OMG!!!! LOVE that wheelbarrow waterfall!! How seriously amazing is that???? yeah...they must have known you were coming:) -Soraya

soraya nulliah said...

yay!!! I'm not anon anymore:)

Bohemian said...

This reminds me that I've gotta get up to Globe... heard there's great Junquing there too! And a trip back up to Jerome is definitely on the Agenda as soon as I can plan my get away! *Winks*

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Dawn... The Bohemian

Unknown said...

So happy you got away. Beautiful country and some cool air. And OOOOOOH, those junkers. Brilliant. I'll bet you couldn't believe your eyes! Donna

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous. This was waiting at the end.

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous.  This was waiting at the end.
Alpine Cliff Jumper

Don't you just love bugs! My first car.... but RED.

Don't you just love bugs!  My first car.... but RED.
Lamy, NM

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM . It has seen better days. I love Lamy,

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM .  It has seen better days.  I love Lamy,
Studebaker in Lamy, NM