"ARROYO"

A dry channel through which water flows intermittently and irregularly. Kind of like this blog.

My art is an infectious need for me, sometimes a burden but most often a blessing.

This blog is about me and my obsessions, my loves, my need to create and my need of JUNK. I'm addicted to thrift stores, estate sales, flea markets and all roads leading off the beaten track to discover that perfect piece of junk. I recycle old license plates, old shovels, wheelbarrows, saw blades and anything else that's funky using my hand held plasma cutter. I love working with steel, sculpting, photography, watercolor painting, stained glass, and turning everyday utilitarian objects into art. Junked cars ~ I will always veer off the path to search out the beautiful wrecked Arroyo JunKers throughout Arizona, New Mexico and anywhere else the road may lead. When I'm not searching for those JunKers
I ~ RESURRECT ~ STEEL

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Playing with Leaves

My friends... other than baking I've done nothing that I should be doing.  Starting tomorrow I'll have to get real busy creating some more Dragonflies for the upcoming show! 

However, before I went on vacation I posted on my "Gifts from Down Under" that Barry Smith sent me.  Well, his leaves were so beautiful they inspired me to see if I could also make them.  So, I did a little research of how to achieve this and of course Youtube is always an informative site for making things.  So,  here is my attempt at making a few leaves. 



They certainly don't compare to Barrys, but they sure are fun to make.  For my first one I used very thin roofing metal that is always available at the hardware store, cheap and I had some laying around.  As you can see the first attempt at heating the very thin metal was too hot or rather too long heating it up.  I sort of singed the edges.  The other sort of brassy leaves were of the same material.  Next I moved on to some scrap steel.  Those turned out great and then I sprayed them with a little vinegar and you have instant Autuum rust.  Now all I need is another 1000 so I can make a tree!  Wouldn't it be cool to hear the wind blow thru them making the slight tinkling sound of metal sort of like the breeze thru the cottonwood tree.  One of my favorite sounds. 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh! I love the tree idea. Perhaps you could begin with a beautiful branch sculpture. I want to build wrought iron trees for the jardin so I can string clothes line between them and it won't look unsightly. Now I wonder what would happen if I took an aluminium pop can, cut it into embossed leaves and heated it when a torch you use for encaustics. hmmmmm. The leaves you have made are gorgeous. They might make a beautiful wind chime. :o) Donna

Barry said...

SZQ- you are a talent. You see something - research it and just go and create beautiful stuff. I just love the leaf with the burnt edges - such a bushfire thing - I wonder why the rest of us had not thought of or done that. Maybe we need to start an international leaf installation thing. Get all the emerging leaf makers to create maybe 10, maybe 50 leaves and send them to one place and have them hanging on and international environment or peace tree. What do you think? And again - you are just so giftyed with that torch and hammer. Go well. B

SooZeQue said...

Lady D: You can certainly use aluminum cans! The colors of different ones would be beautiful. Cut in the shape of a leaf - fold or hammer in half, hammer the edges, heat up, quince in water and do it one more time. Hold leaf in a vice and pry open, twist it a little with pliers...... enjoy your beautiful leaf.

Barry: Oh yes, wouldn't that be neat to create a tree of all different artist around the world. But the hardest part.... Where to place the tree! My yard my yard my yard!

soraya nulliah said...

OMG!!! SSQ!!! Did you just like ...whip up these leaves???? I mean...are you crazy/brilliant/talented or what???? You need to be on O network or ...something!!! I just love these leaves. And even the burned at the edges ones...even more beautiful.
I hope you had a fantastic b-day dear friend. Hey...I didn't know Women Who Run with Wolves was on audio-I am going to check it out so I can listen while I paint.
Big change of plans here SSQ-heading back out to Co. this weekend. Crazy times!!
Oh! And your banana lime bread looks sooo delicious...and no calories huh??? If I didn't love you so much, I might not believe you:)xxx

Barbra Joan said...

Sooz ,, you don't have to compare these with anything else... they are 'really , really wonderful... Keep it up... I know you follow Hang Art ( Jerry) he's an inspiration also..
hugs , BJ

Barry said...

SZQ- now that we have established where the installation will be - your yard; all we have to do now is come up with and installation design and work out how we can invite artists into the challenge. And in case you thought I am joking - I'm not - this world be a brilliant thing to do - we could create a whole movement around it - do a Blurb publication etc etc. Next steps???? B

SooZeQue said...

Barry~ obviously you've done this before! I wouldn't know the first place to start other than a POST. I think it would be awesome. We could decide on size/style etc. Get all sizes of leaves from all over. We could auction it off for a good cause or donate to a worthy international cause for unity/peace. Shipping would be an issue. I've never done something like this so I'd need big help. It would awesome!

Barry said...

SZQ- Fiona and I am done travelling for work-work for a while - just got back from Jakarta today - tired but satisfied. So In the next couple of weeks I will think this over and see if we can put a project plan together - we could aim for Peace Day next year (21 September) as a completion date. And I like the idea of giving, selling the final product for a good cause. Let us keep the ball rolling on this. B

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous. This was waiting at the end.

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous.  This was waiting at the end.
Alpine Cliff Jumper

Don't you just love bugs! My first car.... but RED.

Don't you just love bugs!  My first car.... but RED.
Lamy, NM

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM . It has seen better days. I love Lamy,

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM .  It has seen better days.  I love Lamy,
Studebaker in Lamy, NM