"ARROYO"

A dry channel through which water flows intermittently and irregularly. Kind of like this blog.

My art is an infectious need for me, sometimes a burden but most often a blessing.

This blog is about me and my obsessions, my loves, my need to create and my need of JUNK. I'm addicted to thrift stores, estate sales, flea markets and all roads leading off the beaten track to discover that perfect piece of junk. I recycle old license plates, old shovels, wheelbarrows, saw blades and anything else that's funky using my hand held plasma cutter. I love working with steel, sculpting, photography, watercolor painting, stained glass, and turning everyday utilitarian objects into art. Junked cars ~ I will always veer off the path to search out the beautiful wrecked Arroyo JunKers throughout Arizona, New Mexico and anywhere else the road may lead. When I'm not searching for those JunKers
I ~ RESURRECT ~ STEEL

Sunday, August 7, 2011

ZoZoBra - Old Man Gloom

Zozobra is a hideous but harmless 50 Foot bogeyman marionette. He is a toothless, empty-headed facade. He has no guts and doesn't have a leg to stand on. He is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. He never wins. He moans and groans, rolls his eyes and twists his head. His mouth gapes and chomps. His arms flail about in frustration. Every year we do him in. We string him up and burn him down in ablaze of fireworks. At last, he is gone, taking with him all our troubles for another whole year.

We are headed to Santa Fe, New Mexico for a little vacation at the end of the month to enjoy this annual Fiestas de Santa Fe celebration held every autuum right after Labor Day. It's been a long, long time since I have enjoyed this celebration and I'm really looking forward to it and to seeing family again.  

The burning of Zozobra dates from 1924. William Howard Shuster, Jr. came up with the idea of creating the effigy, also called Old Man Gloom, and ritual burning. His burning marks the start of three days of celebration that includes traditional mass at St. Francis Cathedral; a reenactment of the Entrada, when Don Diego de Vargas returned to the city; a Children's Pet Parade; and the Historical/Hysterical Parade.


I'll be taking a little break from blogging for a few weeks while I finish up some small projects I've been working on.  I know I've been bad about posting the last month.  Stay with me and I'll report back after our little get away and hopefully share some great video of the demise of ZoZobra and hopefully I'll be burning all my sorrows away along with him.... that's part of the ritual to list any problems you are having and then place them in the stomach of ZoZoBra and burn them all away to welcome in the New Year.

Viva La Fiesta
 

2 comments:

soraya nulliah said...

SSQ-take me to Sante Fe with you!!!! Pleeeeeeze!!! xxx

Barry said...

SZQ - enjoy your time away - though we will miss your posts. Go well. B

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous. This was waiting at the end.

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous.  This was waiting at the end.
Alpine Cliff Jumper

Don't you just love bugs! My first car.... but RED.

Don't you just love bugs!  My first car.... but RED.
Lamy, NM

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM . It has seen better days. I love Lamy,

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM .  It has seen better days.  I love Lamy,
Studebaker in Lamy, NM