"ARROYO"

A dry channel through which water flows intermittently and irregularly. Kind of like this blog.

My art is an infectious need for me, sometimes a burden but most often a blessing.

This blog is about me and my obsessions, my loves, my need to create and my need of JUNK. I'm addicted to thrift stores, estate sales, flea markets and all roads leading off the beaten track to discover that perfect piece of junk. I recycle old license plates, old shovels, wheelbarrows, saw blades and anything else that's funky using my hand held plasma cutter. I love working with steel, sculpting, photography, watercolor painting, stained glass, and turning everyday utilitarian objects into art. Junked cars ~ I will always veer off the path to search out the beautiful wrecked Arroyo JunKers throughout Arizona, New Mexico and anywhere else the road may lead. When I'm not searching for those JunKers
I ~ RESURRECT ~ STEEL

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Icicle Cactus & Ocotillo's

Ok folks it is flippin' freezing here in Sunny Arizona .... really!  
Look

We don't do ICE!  
only in our Ice Tea!



We have very thin blood here and this is just to cold for me.  Remember we fry eggs on the sidewalk here.  I'm trying to work outside and my hands have lost all feeling.  I know many of you are in really cold country, so don't laugh at me but, for me this is really cold.

 Desert Botanical Gardens Spring Plant Sale
I'm getting geared up for the annual BG Sale and creating some Steel Garden Art Ocotillo with lots of flying critters on them.  I've got another 5-7 to go.... As soon as I can feel my fingers! 
 




This dragonfly is made with a Railroad Spike.

  
and Here's a Butterfly


of course I have to throw in some
Licence Plate Art Dragonflies
 

3 comments:

Jerry Carlin said...

Suzie, it is always fun and inspiring to see what you do! Spring will get here soon and in the meantime you can drink Hot Cider! Stay warm!

Barry said...

SZQ- that is way too cold. Love what you have done for the body of the dragon and butterflies. B

Luthien Thye said...

the icicles are like sculptures themselves ... poor you ... i know how it feels, it's like there was one time i can't even unzip my jeans with my fingers!!

you do the most wonderful things with metal and the discarded!! love the body of the dragonfly and the butterfly is simply gorgeous!!

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous. This was waiting at the end.

Takin' the back road from Greer to Morenci was gorgeous.  This was waiting at the end.
Alpine Cliff Jumper

Don't you just love bugs! My first car.... but RED.

Don't you just love bugs!  My first car.... but RED.
Lamy, NM

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM . It has seen better days. I love Lamy,

This was a great old Studebaker Truck in Lamy, NM .  It has seen better days.  I love Lamy,
Studebaker in Lamy, NM